I love risotto but it takes a lot of stirring. This one is done partly in the oven which means you don’t have to stand there stirring in the liquid bit by bit.
I used a pan and a glass casserole dish to make this because I don’t have a hob-proof casserole dish. If you do have one, you won’t need the pan.
- 1 tsp olive oil
- 15g vegan margarine (I used Flora Buttery)
- 250g risotto rice
- 130g onion – 1 large – finely chopped
- 290g courgette – 1 medium – diced, about 1cm chunks
- 3 cloves of garlic – finely chopped/pressed
- 120g bag of mixed leaves (I used spinach, watercress and rocket)
- 800ml vegetable stock
- 30ml white wine vinegar
- Half a handful of fresh basil, rough chopped
- 1 tbsp nutritional yeast
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 tsp ground black pepper
- Heat the oil and margarine in a pan, when it has melted add the onion and cook on a very low heat until it is translucent.
- Whilst the onions are cooking, preheat the oven to 130°C fan (150°C/300°F/Gas mark 2).
- Add the garlic and leaves. Continue to cook, stirring quite often until the leaves have wilted down. About 5 minutes.
- Add the courgette, rice salt and pepper. Mix well to combine.
- Pour in the white wine vinegar and the stock. Turn the heat up and bring to the boil.
- Put the mixture into a casserole dish and pop in the oven, without a lid, for 25 minutes. After this time stir it and then return to the oven for another 25 minutes.
- Remove from the oven, stir in the chopped basil and nutritional yeast then serve.