Completely plant-based, this recipe uses nutritional yeast to give a slightly nutty, cheesy flavour without the dairy. I use tinned mixed beans for ease but if you’ve got the time, use whatever you have to hand.
- 2 butternut squash, halved and with the seeds scooped out
- 1 bell pepper, roughly chopped
- 150g quinoa
- 25g chopped spring onions (scallions)
- 120g mixed bean salad, tinned
- 15g nutritional yeast
- 1 tbsp olive oil for drizzling
- 1 tsp oregano
- 0.5 tsp salt
- 0.5 tsp black pepper
- Pre-heat the oven to 200° C / gas mark 5 (180° C fan)
- Place the halved butternut squash on a baking tray and drizzle the olive oil on them. Sprinkle the oregano over and then season with the salt and pepper. Bake for 40 minutes.
- Whilst that’s cooking put the quinoa, spring onions and beans in a pan. Add the water and bring to the boil. Turn the heat down and simmer for 20 minutes. When t’s done it should still be wet but not sloppy.
- When the squash reached the 40 minute mark , add the pepper to the baking tray and cook for another 10 minutes.
- Take the pepper out and mix into the quinoa.
- Use a fork to mash the inside of the squash, without breaking down the skins. After all, you are going to stuff them.
- Spoon the quinoa mix evenly into the squash and return the to oven for 10 minutes.
- Ready to serve.