My wife was having a tough morning at work today. She’s got a bad foot and is in a lot of pain. I made her breakfast of chopped avocado, tomatoes and spring onions with a slice of malted brown toast. She looked so sad and asked if there was any cake. Well, of course, there can be some cake….
- 175g Flora Buttery (non-dairy margarine)
- 175g caster sugar
- 250g self-raising flour
- 3 eggs
- 2 tbsp oat milk
- 2 tbsp icing sugar
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 15g chocolate chips
- Grease a cake tin with a little margarine, line the bottom with greaseproof paper and grease this too.
- Heat the oven to 180°C (160°C fan/350°F/Gas mark 4)
- Beat the margarine and sugar together until smooth and pale yellow in colour.
- Beat the eggs into the mixture one at a time.
- Sift the flour onto the mixture and gently stir in. Add the oat milk to loosen the mixture a little.
- Pour and scrape it all into the cake tin. Use a spatula or the back of a spoon to spread it evenly.
- Bake for 40 minutes. It should be golden brown on the top. Test it is cooked through by slipping the tip of a sharp knife into the centre of the cake. If it comes out clean then it is done.
- Remove from the oven and let it cool for 15 minutes in the cake tin then remove from the tin and cool it on a wire rack.
- When cool you can add the icing.
- Mix 1 tbsp of icing sugar with the vanilla extract and 1 to 3 tsp of water. Try 1 tsp of water first, if it is too thick add another.
- Drizzle the icing all over the cake then drop the chocolate chips on top. Let it dry for 10 to 15 minutes.
- When the icing is dry, sift the remaining 1 tbsp of icing sugar over the cake.