I think curries with lentils are my favourite type. There’s something about the texture that I find so appealing. This Dhansak uses a lot of mixed veg to make a vegan friendly meal.
- 265g onions, sliced finely
- 150g red lentils
- 4 cloves of garlic, finely chopped
- 160g kale, chopped
- 200g peppers, sliced
- 100g carrots, roughly grated
- 150g mushrooms, sliced
- 400g tinned chopped tomatoes
- 1 tbsp ginger, finely chopped
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1 vegetable stock cube
- 2 tbsp ground cumin
- 2 tbsp garam masala or mild curry powder
- 0.5 tsp chilli powder
- 2 tsp tamarind paste
- Rinse the lentils and cover them with plenty of water. Bring to the boil then turn down to a simmer and cover for 20 minutes.
- Whilst the lentils are cooking put the oil in a large pans and heat. Add the onions, ginger and garlic. Stir and cook until the onions start to brown and crisp. Add a splash of water to help stop sticking.
- Add the cumin, garam masala (or curry powder), chilli, tamarind paste and then crumble the stock cube on top. Stir well then cook for a couple of minutes.
- Add the tomatoes and about 400ml of water, bring to the boil and reduce to a simmer for 5 minutes.
- By now the lentils should be cooked. Drain them and add to the pan. Pour in another 400ml of water and stir well. Bring to the boil, cook for 5 minutes.
- Now add the vegetables and stir to mix thoroughly. Boil. cover and reduce to a simmer. Leave for at least 20 mins until the veg is well cooked. Stir every 5 mins or so to stop the lentils sticking.
One Comment Add yours